Warmer weather is beginning to show itself, which means it is time to get out on the water. Personal watercrafts, such as wave runners and jet skis, can definitely make summer a lot more fun. However, at the same time, it is crucial to ensure you are safe, especially in the event of an emergency. This is especially true seeing as how PWCs are known to be one of the deadliest water vehicles. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
1. Ensure that you have a properly functioning marine radio for weather updates and requests for help.
2. Make certain that you have proof of adequate personal watercraft insurance.
3. It also doesn’t hurt to have a compass and a flashlight on hand in case you get lost or you stay out too late.
4. Make sure you have a whistle, flare kit or some other signaling device in case of an emergency.
5. Don’t forget the mandatory items you are required to have, such as the dead-man lanyard and a flotation device.