A well-stocked toolbox is an essential part of owning a vehicle.
Taking your car to your mechanic for every little issue you face can be very time consuming and expensive. While you don’t need to turn your garage into a mechanic shop, having the right tools and know-how can help save you a trip to the dealership for small issues.
When stocking up your car owner toolbox, make sure you have these essential tools.
- Socket set – a socket set will help you tighten or remove nuts and bolts of various sizes on your vehicle. Choose a set in ¼ inch, 3/8 inch, and ½ inch sizes with extensions to ensure that you can take on almost any issue that you encounter.
- Wrench set – if you don’t have enough room to maneuver a socket, a wrench will be your next best bet. Wrench sets will come in handy when tightening or loosening any bolts or nuts in the engine compartment where space is limited.
- Jack and jack stands – if you are working under your car, you want to make sure that it won’t fall on you. A quality jack and jack stands can give you the peace of mind and space you need to access any area of the undercarriage.
- Inspection light – a bright light can allow you to see any issues that need to be fixed. Consider choosing a light that can be mounted on your head so that both of your hands can be free to do any work.
- Lug wrench – in many cases, you will need to remove a tire to get to parts of your vehicles, such as the suspension and brakes. A good lug wrench will make the job much easier.