The fear of being infested with bedbugs often becomes a reality, especially if you have traveled or had children visit home during the long summer break. However, when it comes to getting rid of bedbugs, if you live in a rented home, it helps to know whether your renters insurance coverage includes bedbugs.
This blog does just that. It discusses whether your renters insurance covers bedbugs, will your landlord pay for the expenses, ways to prevent its infestation, how to exterminate bedbugs from your home, and the options available to you in your renters insurance coverage that covers bedbugs.
Will Your Renters Insurance Cover Bedbugs?
If you experience a bedbug infestation in your rented home, the expenses that you incur may include:
- Hiring extermination services
- Replacing infested items such as mattresses
- Receiving treatment for bedbug bites
- Shifting temporarily to an alternate accommodation
However, your renters insurance will not cover the expenses. It is so because standard renters insurance offers protections only for sudden, accidental, or unexpected losses, while bedbug infestation is considered to be caused by negligence in home maintenance.
Will Your Landlord Pay for Bedbugs-Related Expenses?
Your landlord may have to pay for the expenses if:
- No maintenance issues from your end
- Specified as their responsibility in the renters lease
- Lack of basic housing standards
- Specified by your state’s bedbug laws
Ways to Prevent Bedbug Infestations in Your Rented Space
While everyone wants a bedbug-free home, at times, through negligence, you may be responsible for its infestation inside your home. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has mentioned several practical tips that can help prevent bedbug infestations. They include:
- Reduce clutter
- Vacuum your home regularly
- Use light-colored mattress covers
- If you use launderettes, fold your laundered clothes at home
- If you buy used furniture, check them thoroughly for infestation
- If you live in a multi-unit home, install door sweeps
- Stay wary of bedbugs while traveling
Ways to Get Rid of Bedbugs
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, besides hiring the professional services of a pest extermination company, you may do the following:
- After deep cleansing or vacuuming, dispose of the contents in an outdoor bin in a sealed bag
- Clean up cluttered spaces and seal cracks to eliminate hiding places for bedbugs
- Put infected items in the dryer at high heat for 30 minutes
- Keep the bed away from the wall
- Ensure the bedding doesn’t touch the floor
- Keep mattresses and boxsprings in bedbug-proof covers
- Install bedbug interceptors at various places across your home
Renters Insurance Options Offered for Bed Bugs
Some insurance providers offer an endorsement that can be added to the renters insurance coverage. They cover:
- Extermination fee
- Disposal of the bugs
- Cleaning and sanitization of the home
- Cleaning or replacing infested items
Secure Your Home from Pests with Pierce Insurance
For Collin County, TX residents, Pierce Insurance Group specializes in providing homeowners insurance tailored to your specific requirements. Our dedicated team offers high-quality insurance products designed to meet your unique needs. Whether you’re looking for coverage for your home, personal property, or liability protection, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today to discover how we can help safeguard your home and assets with the right insurance solutions.