Have you ever been coasting down a hill, and reached for your brakes, only to find that your vehicle is not responding? This is a frightening experience, and can be a threat to your life. Know what to do in case your brakes stop working:
- Step 1: Stay Calm
- Step 2: Try the brakes again. Your car might have a dual braking system.
- Step 3: Try your E-brake, or downshift to attempt to slow the car down.
- Step 4: Try to work towards the shoulder and turn on your hazard lights, then shift into neutral. Try dragging your wheels against the curb to slow you down.
- Step 5: Keep the car on. Do not shut off the vehicle until you have stopped moving.
- Step 6: Ask for help. Keep your hazard lights on and raise your hood while you call for roadside assistance.
- Step 7: Be cautious if the brakes seem to work again. Make sure you have them checked by a professional before you drive again.
Keep these tips in the back of your mind if you ever run into this situation. It could save your life! For any insurance inquiries in the McKinney area, please contact Pierce Insurance Agency, today!